Saturday, May 30, 2015

Event 4: Art Science Undergraduate Society, Movement

This exhibition, titled Movement, was put together by UCLA art students who showcased their perceptions of kinetics in art.  I'll admit, going by myself to this was not my cup of tea, and I really felt out of place because it wasn't very welcoming (in my haste, I forgot to take a photo with someone there!).  But the pieces I saw were really well thought out, and I was impressed at how it was all student pieces.
Linear representation of hand motions
The pieces above connected really well to my cognitive psych class and how our eye works together to form and perceive movement - all in a complex manner but with very little thought on our part.  This piece reminded me of the robotics unit in that our muscles and movements are very controlled and established in a predetermined system, much as how robots are programmed to move.
Pencil illustration of the anatomy and physiology behind running
Interactive map to demonstrate different pathways between two halves of campus
Shi's "Crossroads: A Web of Paths" immediately drew my attention (and was interactive too!) from the colors and 3D aspects.  It instantly reminded me of our introduction lecture about the two cultures.  Shi acknowledged and pushed the boundary between the North vs. South campus divide, and it was fascinating to see their medium in working to bridge the gap in order to collaborate and share knowledge.  Here, you can see how a geographic divide can instantly create different group.  The perpetuation of such stereotypes regarding the two campuses  are dangerous, and Movement is one way to keep from falling in that line of thinking and allowing for intersecting pathways.

Overall, I felt as if this show really helped bring the class to full circle, especially with Shi's piece.  We started off with this awareness that the divide exists and may be detrimental to the growth of either or both art and science - and now we wrap up with the visual representation of how that may change, if merely by the crossing of paths.  This exhibit is no longer up, but I would have suggested people to come, if only to see first the yarns of movement and to add to Shi's piece.  I hope this show and the class overall has helped alleviate the divide in one way or another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment